Tuesday, February 21, 2017

30 Minute Tag-A New Beginning

Welcome friends and visitors! I was tempted, once again, by a few challenges out there, including that mind blowing " Time Challenge-30 Minutes or Under" at Country View Challenges. And it's "Out of the Cold" for Cec's challenge theme at Frilly and Funkie, so my butterfly is flitting away from the snowflakes. And a new one for me--PaperArtsty, where the challenge is to use a mask. 


 I was inspired to use my Color Burst granules after reading about and seeing Alison's (Words and Pictures) beautiful works of art using Infusions. Of course, my watery backgrounds don't look anything like her gorgeous, inky backdrops for those detailed Lynne Perrella images.

Like my last 30 minute project (which bombed, by the way), I followed Brenda's tips; I  made a recipe and gathered my ingredients. Before I got started, I even did a little test on a scrap of the same paper I would use as my substrate. Why is it that the experiment always turns out better than the actual project? Well, it does for me! Look at those beautiful colors all from one Color Burst--they didn't materialize as well on my finished tag, nor did my masking turn out as well. But 30 minutes is all I truly had, because this to make the mail today. There was no time for do overs.


This is as far as I got within the 30 minutes. You can see I didn't have time to thread the ribbon back through, but I laid it there for the finish line photo.


I thought I would show you the gorgeous watery color at the top and the crackled snowflake before I added the ribbon and word token. Another crafty conundrum: why are the best parts of a background always covered up by the embellishments?



I'll share my ingredients and step by step directions below. By lumping it all together, it will give you the option to skip through to the photos I took (mainly) outdoors.

Ingredients: Stencils: Tim Holtz Snowflakes, TCW Harlequin; Die: tim Holtz Tag and Bookplates; Stamp: Unnamed from my stash; Color: Distress Crayon Picket Fence, Peacock Feathers, Distress ink Peacock Feathers, Distress paint Black Soot, white acrylic paint, Color Bursts Lamp Black; Other mixed media products: DecoArt Crackle Paint, Distress Micro Glaze; Heavy watercolor paper, black card stock, seam binding, Ideaology Word Token, word stickers from my stash, Distress sprayer and splatter brush. I later added Tim Holtz Woodland Scribble stamp.

Recipe:
X  Die cut tag and circle from watercolor paper.
X  Using tag as a template mark black card stock on where to cut.
X  Ink butterfly stamp, spritz with water and transfer image to tag. Heat dry.
X  Stamp a second time on post it to use as a mask
X  Roughly cut butterfly image  from post it and apply to tag.
X  Apply crackle paint through stencils. Put stencils and palette knife into tray of water.
X  Remove mask and set tag aside to dry until cracks start to form.
X  Stain seam binding to match using leftover ink on butterfly stamp and ink pad, spritz with water and crinkle. Set aside to dry.
X Cut tag from black card and punch hole.
X Apply Distress Crayon to word token and word stickers.
X Continue drying process on crackle using heat tool.
X Apply micro glaze to butterfly and buff with clean, dry paper towel. (I got a little carried away with the buffing, apparently.)
X Sprinkle (very) lightly with Color Burst, spritz with water.
X Pat butterfly with clean paper towel to soak up color. Continue to dry with heat tool. Repeat.
X Adhere painted tag to black tag.
X Continue to dry seam binding and thread through word token and hole in tag. (I didn't thread the tag's hole with the ribbon.)
X Apply word stickers.

At this point I had just under 7 minutes left on the timer, so I decided to add stamping with white acrylic paint and a Tim Holtz Woodland Scribble snowflake image. I also splattered on watered down white paint and Black Soot Distress paint and changed the color of the recesses in the word token from blue to black to white. This left me short of time to thread my ribbon through the tag's hole.







I think making these 30 minute projects teach me ways I can improve on my work, but I've enjoyed the process and the outcome isn't that bad. Here's another look at my tag.  


I'm sharing this tag with the following challenges:
Country View Challenges-February 2017 -Time Challenge-30 Minutes or Under
Frilly and Funkie-Out of the Cold I chose a bright color for my butterfly coming out of the dark snowy wintry background.
PaperArtsy 2017 Topic #2 Masks I was inspired to use post it paper for a mask by Gabrielle Price's post I Just Wanted to Say. Why? Post its are the quickest way I know to make a mask, other than the Micro Glaze I also used.
A Vintage Journey February Challenge-Words That Are Special I can't say why these words are special yet, but this tag is going to someone special, and she will understand New Beginnings that will Inspire.
Scrapy Land Challenge #60-Add Texture I used a Sizzix tag die.
Word Art Wednesday Challenge Weeks #270-271-Anything Goes
Allsorts Week 403-Anything Goes
Creative Artiste Challenge #23-Anything Mixed Media Goes
We Love to Create Challenge #3-Anything Creative/Mixed Media Goes
Penny Black and More-February Challenge- Use Your Favorite Stamp This is my favorite butterfly stamp that I actually keep on my display shelf. Sadly, there is no manufacturer name on it.

Thank you for stopping by today and for all your wonderful comments! I read and appreciate each and every one of them.
Hugs and Blessings!
Sara Emily

41 comments:

  1. Hi, Sara Emily! I'm so happy every time I visit your blog. It feels cozy here. You're always creating something visually stunning and are so generous to share your techniques. You're always trying something new and interesting. Your tag this week is gorgeous! I love the way the brightly colored butterfly defies winter's chill! I am astounded that you were able to bring all of this gorgeousness together in 30 minutes!! Thank you so ,ugh for sharing this beauty with us at the Frilly and Funkie Challenge!!
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is supposed to say 'Thank you so much'-lol! My autocorrect is going insane. It's like the third time it's done that same thing this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous, gorgeous layers and finished tag Sara Emily. You really rocked all those layers and techniques in your 30 minute dash which combined brilliantly to create those splattered, mixed media effects. Thanks so much for another shout out and good luck in your challenges xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such beautiful, delicate, layered work! I love your tag. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very very inspiring love your fabulous tag Sara.xx{aNNie}

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a glorious tag and so beautifully done - that Butterfly stamps looks very familiar to me and I am sure I have it somewhere, many even be a PB one. Many thanks for joining in at Allsorts and Penny Black and More challenges.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This would have taken me hours to make! Great job Sara Emily! Beautiful tag!
    Hugs
    Samra
    Paper Talk with Samra

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is beautiful! Love all the gorgeous layers, the texture and you created it in less than 30, clever lady you are! To get this many layers and this look would have taken me quite a few days lol! Karen xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful tag love the butterfly and all the texture you created in such a short time .

    ReplyDelete
  10. A gorgeous tag, Sara! Love the textures and the great techniques you used. The butterfly looks so beautiful. Mar x :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love visiting your blog...always such amazing inspiration!! This is amazing, Sara Emily!! I am so impressed in what you can do in 30 minutes!! This would take me hours!! The techniques you used are so fabulous!! I love the colors and the crackle!! The butterfly is gorgeous!! Love, love this, my dear friend!! It's so stunning!! Thank you so much for playing along at Scrapy Land!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sara Emily...this is a beautiful tag! I love the watercolor effect on the butterfly and I love the color! I always love any browns and teals together. I also love your crackled stenciled images. Very striking! I can't believe you did all of that in 30 minutes!! Just a beautiful job! Thanks for all of the info on your blog as to how you did everything and taking us through the step by step. Beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous card with lots of great elements.
    Thank you for sharing at Allsorts,and at my extra candy;
    good luck;-))m

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow Sarah! After all the disappointment this has turned to be a stunning tag - It really is amazing what can be done in 30minutes - as I often find!!! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow Sara, I am so impressed at what you have completed in such a short time, you are a wizard!! The butterfly is gorgeous and so are those beautiful crackly snowflakes! Great step by step too. I love your beautiful tag!

    Thanks so much too, for joining in our 'Words That Are Special' challenge at A Vintage Journey. Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic tag, Sara! I love the background and your stippled butterfly is one of my favorite stamps! Hugs, de

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic creation, really effective use of the Infusions. The colours you have chosen are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  18. 30 minutes and wow! Love your tag and the mix of the cold snowflake and the butterfly! Beautiful! Thanks for playing along with us at the Frilly and Funkie "Out of the cold Challenge"!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your tag is awesome, Sara Emily, and in 30 minutes - wow! I love your colors and textures, especially the pop of color with your butterfly! Love the clever combination of snowflakes and butterflies :-) Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I understand completely your thoughts about the best parts covered up! Always the way isn't it Sarah Emily??
    The first look I had at your tag, I thought, how strange to have butterflies and snowflakes, but the more I looked, the more I fell in love with the idea, and then I read your post- DUH Jackie! heehee
    Anyway, gorgeous tag!
    hugs,Jackie xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my gosh! I love this so so much! You rocked the clock babe and the result is stunning beyond my crafty wordy descriptions. :) LOVE LOVE! Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This tag will remain on my Tim Holtz 2-tiered crafty clippy stand for eternity! I adore it and cannot believe that it is even better than these pics show. You are AMAZING!!! <3

      Delete
  22. brilliant 30 minute tag Sara - its wonderful. Your colours and textures are just fabulous! Big hugs lovely lady xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fab creation, thanks for joining Allsorts challenge, good luck.
    Happy crafting
    Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Absolutely stunning and challenging ourselves is always fun. Wonderful details and colours x great to have you hop on board at this AVJ terminal Sara
    Best wishes
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think your tag is fabulous!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. A fabulous tag, I love your try out piece but think the finished result is gorgeous, I guess with colour burst it's that element of surprise too :) Thank you for joining us at the Creative Artiste Mixed Media, Anything Goes, #23 February Challenge. Good luck! Love Denyse (DT)

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is gorgeous, Sara Emily - such beautiful soft colours and the crackled harlequins look fabulous. One of the things I love about the Infusions is their unpredictability... you have a certain amount of control but after that the surprises keep coming, and I bet the Color Bursts are the same. I think you've created a lovely effect here, and look forward to seeing more experiments. Lovely to have you play along at PaperArtsy and of course for joining us on A Vintage Journey.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  28. WOW your tag is gorgeous Sara! SOOOOO much awesomeness and the colors are so pretty. loving the butterfly... it's all just so you! Seriously, you know how to hunt down the challenges! often I come to your blog just so I can find some new ones. hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love the colours and textures, it's reallly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great tag. Love the technic. Thanks for submitting it to the Scrapyland's challenge#60.

    ReplyDelete
  31. just popping back to say thanks for joining us at CVC and good luck! Hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Stunning
    Thanks for joining us at Scrapyland challenges blog and good luck !
    Maryvonne DT Member

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love the way that vibrant butterfly appears to be breaking free of the ice and cold. Really wonderful use of color and techniques here, Sara Emily! Thanks so much for joining the fun at the Frilly and Funkie "Out of the Cold" challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  34. A beautiful tag with gorgeous colours. Thank you for entering our challenge at Penny Black and More this month.

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  35. Beautiful tag, lovely details.
    Thank you for sharing at Penny Black & More 'Favourite Stamp' challenge and good luck x Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow, Sara, I am so impressed by your amazing tag and I can't believe you have created this in only 30 minutes! Your tag turned out brilliantly with all those amazing crackles and beautiful textures! The colors are super gorgeous and I really love the quote! Ooooooh, so yummy and so super creative, my friend! I absolutely love it! Big hugs :) Branka xx

    ReplyDelete
  37. Awesome tag! Thank you for joining our Challenge a few weeks ago at Word Art Wednesday. We have a week left on our current Challenge and I hope you join us again. Leaving you with the inspiration of God's Word in Psalm 84:11 and it says, "For the LORD God is a sun and shield; The LORD gives grace and glory; No good thing does He withhold from those who walk uprightly." Have a blessed week.

    JO ANN
    http://jatterburycreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. Applause! Yeppers! I totally enjoy seeing how much you can get done in 30 and I adore how honest you are! That in itself is a wonderful trait to have and thank you for sharing. This tag is beautiful and grungy good! The crackle is beautiful, the colors are stupendously awesome sauce and so totally adore everything about this. Great tip about gathering your supplies before you start. What a treat to see this and I can't Wait for the next one! Hugz to you muffin! ~Punkin

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments...they mean so much to me.